Though TikTok rose to fame as a platform for Gen Z dance challenges, TikTok has grown to encompass every kind of content and community. In fact, with features like in-app shopping, livestreaming, and branded hashtag challenges, it’s now an essential tool for brands looking to connect directly with customers. (Good thing it’s finally possible to schedule TikTok posts.)
As you develop your 2023 TikTok marketing strategy, here are the key TikTok stats to keep in mind.
Bonus: Get a free TikTok Growth Checklist from famous TikTok creator Tiffy Chen that shows you how to gain 1.6 million followers with only 3 studio lights and iMovie.
General TikTok statistics
Since launching in 2016, TikTok has skyrocketed through the app-o-sphere to capture the hearts and minds and screens of social media users, with some seriously brag-worthy numbers, like 3 billion downloads (including 672 million downloads in 2022 alone) and 50 million daily active users.
Here are some more fascinating TikTok statistics about the app that’s now the sixth most popular social media platform in the world.
- However, when you rank apps for highest usage time, TikTok climbs the charts slightly, clocking in at #5. In other words: TikTok may have fewer users than Instagram, but it appears to be more compelling.
- TikTok users spend 22.9 hours per month on the app; Youtube clocks in with a slightly higher number at 23.4 hours monthly.
TikTok user statistics
You’ve probably got a broad picture in your head of who the average TikTok user is — but the truth is, not every one of the billion global active users on the platform is a Billie Eilish impersonator.
There are people from every generation represented on the app, using TikTok’s fun and easy editing tools to post videos on everything from dance trends to financial advice (for better or for worse) to activism.
These are also people who are interested in engaging with brands and doing some serious shopping… so if your company is on the ‘Tok, it’s time to get to know (and love) your viewers.
- TikTok recently surpassed a huge milestone: 1 billion global active users. That’s 18% of internet users worldwide.
- While TikTok may get a reputation as being for teenagers, a full 24% of its global audience is women aged 18 to 24. Male users of this age bracket make up another 18%.
- 31% of TikTok’s audience falls into the 25 to 34-year-old age group.
- But TikTok users aren’t exclusive to the app — in fact, only 0.1% of TikTok users only use TikTok. 83.4% also use Facebook, 81% also use Instagram, and 77% are also using Youtube. The least likely overlap is with Reddit—only 16.7% of TikTok users are also regulars there.
- However, among younger, female-identifying demographics, that number is higher: 11.3% of this group called TikTok their favorite.
- Only 6.6% of male users in that age bracket call TikTok their favorite platform, preferring Instagram, Whatsapp, Facebook, and WeChat.
TikTok usage statistics
Knowing who uses TikTok is important for marketers, but so is understanding how they use it. Though TikTok may have originally been created as a lip-synching app, its function has evolved beyond anyone’s imagination.
Now, it’s an entertainment hub and education tool, one that users flock to for research, information, shopping, and laughs. (And, yes, lip-synching and dancing are still as popular as ever here.)
Communities find each other here — hey, #witchtok! — and new languages are created. Yes, technically you could describe TikTok as a short-form video platform (and we absolutely did earlier in this story), but the truth is, it’s a powerful social connecter and communication tool, too.
- When it comes to total usage time, TikTok ranks fifth (behind Youtube, Facebook, WhatsApp, and Google Chrome).
- According to Pew Research, 16% of teenagers say they use TikTok “almost constantly” (19% say the same about YouTube).
TikTok for business statistics
If you’re not using TikTok for business yet, you’re making a mistake, my friend.
Given the fact that a billion people of all ages are active on the app, chances are, you’ll find your audience hanging out here. TikTokers are actively searching for product recommendations and reviews, hungry for content from their favorite brands.
While it’s true not every social platform is a fit for every target audience, the business opportunities here on TikTok are too rich not to at least explore. And you don’t have to be online all day — now that you can schedule TikToks, it’s easier than ever to participate in this digital business boom at your own convenience. Read on for TikTok business statistics that might just inspire you to brush up on your video editing skills.
- TikTok has a potential ad reach of 945.2 million (among users aged 18+).
- That’s an increased ad reach of 14.6% (121 million) since 2021 — this is an advertising platform that’s on the rise.
- On TikTok, you’ll find your advertising audience skews female: 53.1%, to be exact.
- If you’re looking to reach Millennials and Gen Z, this is a fantastic place to do just that. 36.9% of TikTok’s advertising audience is female in the 18-34-year-old range; 32.8% are males in this valuable demo.
- But if your target audience is older than that, you’ll find Gen X and Boomers on TikTok, too. 30.4% of Tiktok’s advertising audience is aged 35 and up, including 5.5% in the 55+ category.
- In the U.S., TikTok ads have a potential reach of 109,538,000. Brazil is the next biggest ad reach market (76 mill+), followed by Indonesia (69+) and Russia (57+).
- 92% of users were inspired to take action after watching a TikTok video, whether that was visiting an advertiser’s site, participating in a challenge, or making a purchase.
- No wonder that in 2022, TikTok was valued at $443.48 billion USD.
- TikTok creator Khabane Lame is the most followed creator on TikTok, with 152 million subscribers as of November 2022. (Charlie D’amelio is #2, with 149 million.)
- 41% of TikTok users say “lifting their spirits” is key in motivating them to make a purchase.
- Millennial TikTok users love brands: they are 2.3x more likely to create a post and tag a brand than other platforms.
- Teaming up with creators pays off: ads with creators on TikTok drove a 26% increase in brand favorability among users.
There you have it: the cold, hard numbers behind the hottest app in town. Now that you’re armed with these powerful TikTok statistics, you’re probably itching to get started with your TikTok business strategy. We’ve got your back with how-to guides, the latest intel on TikTok updates, and the TikTok scheduling tool of your dreams.
Watch this video to find out how to schedule TikTok posts for your business on your phone with Hootsuite.
Grow your TikTok presence alongside your other social channels using Hootsuite. Schedule and publish posts for the best times, engage your audience, and measure performance — all from one easy-to-use dashboard. Try it free today.
Grow on TikTok faster with Hootsuite
Schedule posts, learn from analytics, and respond to comments all in one place.